250 gr fine semolina
50 gr flour
250 gr sugar
60 gr butter
1 lemon, grated peel
100 gr almonds
A pinch salt
1/2 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
4 glasses sugar
3 and 1/2 glasses water
1/2 lemon juice
– Butter a high-sided cake pan of 25 cm. in diameter and sprinkle with flour.
– Boil the almonds in 1 glass of water.
– Drain and peel them. Chop with a knife.
– Separate the egg yolks and the whites. Beat the whites stiff with a pinch of salt.
– Beat the yolks with sugar and grated lemon peel for 7-8 minutes until it is creamy. Add mixed semolina and flour to the egg yolks. Mix well.
– Add the egg whites and chopped almonds. Mix with a wooden spoon. Add melted but cool butter. Mix well and pour it into the cake pan.
– Bake in medium hot oven for 1 hour, until it is golden brown.
– Boil the syrup and let simmer for 10 minutes.
– Take the pan out of the oven and pour the boiling syrup over. Let cool.
– Put is upside down in a serving plate.
– It tastes better the next day.