SERVING : 8
16 medium size bell peppers
4 small tomatoes
1/4 glass olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 glass rice
6 medium size onion, finely chopped
25 gr pine nuts
3 teaspoons salt
3/4 glass olive oil
1 medium size tomato, peeled and chopped
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 teaspoons granulated sugar
25 gr currants
1/2 bunch mint or 1 tablespoon dried mint
1 bunch dill
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
– Cover the rice lukewarm water and let cool. Pour the water out, wash well and drain.
– Add the nuts, 1 teaspoon salt and the olive oil to the onions. Brown them on medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 20 minutes.
– Add the drained rice and toast them for 10 minutes. Add tomato , rest of the salt, pepper, sugar and 1/2 glass of warm water. Mix them well and cover the lid.
– Turn the heat down as soon as it starts boiling. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the water is absorbed.
– Add the spices and chopped herbs. Cover well with a cloth underneath the lid leave in its own steam for half an hour. Mix well a wooden spoon before using for filling.
– Cut around the stems of the peppers. Remove the seeds. Wash and drain them.
– Stuff the peppers, not very tightly, with the rice filling and close them with caps cut out from tomatoes.
– Place them side by side in a saucepan, with the lids upwards. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 glass olive oil. Add 3/4 glass of water.
– Cover and cook on low heat for 45-60 minutes, until the whole water is absorbed and the peppers are tender.