SERVING : 6
1 and 1/2 – 2 kg cabbage
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons salt
250 grams minced beef
1 glass oil
2 glasses water
2 small green peppers
1 soupspoon butter
1 onion, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 tomatoes, whole
1/2 soupspoon salt
1 bunch parsley
– Brown the onion in butter for 3 minutes.
– Add the ground meat. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
– Add the chopped tomatoes, salt and water. Cook for 15 minutes longer.
– Strain this mixture and keep the excess liquid in a separate bowl.
– Stir the chopped parsley into the meat mixture.
– Cut the cabbage lengthwise into two, remove the hearts.
– Put them in a saucepan with 5 cups of water. Sprinkle with salt. Cover and cook at high temperature for 5 minutes.
– Turn them over and cook for another 5 minutes until they are tender enough to be stuffed and rolled, but not fully cooked, otherwise they will tear apart.
– Take them out of the water, drain and let cool.
– Take the leaves apart, remove the large veins and cut them into hand size pieces. Place the thick pieces at the bottom of the saucepan.
– Place each piece on a plate. Put one tablespoonful of rice filling on the larger end. Fold the two sides over the filling and roll it on like a cigar.
– Place them neatly side by side in the saucepan. Add lemon juice, olive oil and 1 glass of water. Sprinkle with some salt.
– Cover and cook on low heat for 45-60 minutes, until the whole water is absorbed and the leaves are tender.
– Serve cold with lemon slices.