SERVING : 6
1 and 1/2 – 2 kg cabbage
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons salt
200 gr rice, soaked in lukewarm water, drained
6 large onion, finely chopped
150 gr olive oil
1 soupspoon salt
1 soupspoon pine nuts
1 soupspoon currant
1 dessertspoon granulated sugar
1 1/2 glasses water
1 coffeespoon allspice
1 coffeespoon black pepper
2 soupspoons tomato paste
1 tomato, skinned, chopped
– In a medium saucepan heat olive oil on high heat. Add onion, pine nuts and salt. Cook 20-25 minutes, stirring constantly until golden.
– Add rice and roast about 10 minutes.
– Add tomato paste, currant, pepper, allspice and sugar. Stir with slotted spoon. Add 1/2 glass water, lower heat and cook 15-20 minutes.
– Remove saucepan from heat and set aside the cool.
– Cut the cabbage lengthwise into two, remove the hearts. Put them in a saucepan with 5 cups of water. Sprinkle with salt. Cover and cook at high heat for 5 minutes.
– Turn them over and cook for another 5 minutes until they are tender enough to be stuffed and rolled, but not fully cooked, otherwise they will tear apart.
– Take them out of the water, drain and let cool. Take the leaves apart, remove the large veins and cut them into hand size pieces. Place the thick pieces at the bottom of the saucepan.
– Place each piece on a plate. Put one tablesoonful of rice filling on the larger end. Fold the two sides over the filling and roll it on like a cigar.
– Place them neatly side by side in the saucepan. Add lemon juice, olive oil and 1 glass of water. Sprinkle with some salt.
– Cover and cook on low heat for 45-60 minutes, until the whole water is absorbed and the leaves are tender.
– Serve cold with lemon slices.