SERVINGS : 6 Persons
1 and 1/2 kg large size mackerels
1 tea spoon salt
1 soup spoon butter
1 small onion, chopped very fine
2 glasses water
1/2 glass cream, whipped
3 celery stalks
125 ml thickened cream
30 gr flour
60 gr butter
500 ml White Stock or 2 chicken stock cubes, dissolved in 500 ml boiling water
A few salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
– In deep frying pan or saucepan brown the onions in the butter and brown the fishes on both sides.
– Add the salt and water. Let cook covered for 5 minutes on a low heat.
– Place the fishes carefully on the serving plates. Finely chop celery stalks and leaves.
– In a saucepan over medium heat add celery and stock. Cook 10-12 minutes or until celery is tender and soft.
– Drain celery and reserve cooking liquids, keep hot.
– In a heavy-based saucepan, melt butter. Add flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until bubbly. Do not let flour brown.
– Gradually whisk in hot celery cooking liquid. Continue whisking until the mixture comes to the boil. Lower heat, add celery and simmer 10 minutes.
– Puree in a blender or food processor, then rub through fine strainer to remove strings.
– Return to saucepan and warm through. Add cream, salt, pepper.
– Serve hot with cooked mackerels.