SERVINGS : 4
125 ml olive oil
2 egg yolks
2 teaspoons lemon juice or tarragon vinegar
6 medium garlic cloves
A few salt
A few pepper
– Press the garlic cloves through a garlic press into a bowl. Beat to a paste with the salt. Add egg yolks, one at a time, and beat until well combined.
– Slowly drip in oil, as for mayonnaise, whisking constantly. When sauce begins to thicken, stir in lemon juice or tarragon vinegar, and continue to add oil, gradually increasing to a steady trickle.
– Enough oil has been added when sauce becomes really thick. Add pepper, stir well.
– Open the 20 mussels by inserting a knife along the flat side and running it along to the other side. Remove them from their shells.
– Wash and dry mussels and flour each one separately.
– Dip them first into beer, then into the beaten egg. Fry in hot oil until golden brown on all sides.
– Spinkle with salt and serve immediately with a bowl of tarator sauce.
HINT: Do not refrigerate any leftover Aioli, place in a screw-top jar and leave in a cool place, such as a larder.