SERVING : 4
1 kg chicken, to serve
60 gr light brown sugar
125 gr Japanese sake or dry sherry
250 ml soy sauce
1 tablespoon onion, grated
3 small garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon fresh root ginger, grated
1 teaspoon sesame oil
A few salt
– Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and warm gently over medium heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved.
– Strain through fine muslin, if desired. But the sauce is excellent as it is the small flakes of onion, garlic and ginger give it body.
– Skewer pieces of chicken and place in a glass bowl.
– Cover with marinade and set aside at least 3-4 hours, turning occasionally.
– Grill or barbecue the chicken, basting frequently with marinade.
– Warm remaining marinade and serve with grilled or barbecued chicken.