SERVING : 4
2 glasses rice
3 tablespoons butter
3 glasses meat stock or water
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
250 gr firm white fish, chopped
60 ml brandy
125 gr raw prawns
250 ml tomato sauce
125 gr squid bodies, cleaned, cut in rings
125 gr clams, in the shell
12 small mussels, in the shell
180 ml dry white wine
75 ml olive oil
2 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped
A pinch pepper
A pinch tabasco sauce
– Place the rice in a bowl, cover it with hot salted water. Let stand until it gets cool.
– Wash thoroughly and drain well.
– Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the meat stock or water, the rice, salt and sugar. Mix well, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
– Remove from heat and let stand for another 15 minutes.
– Mix well with a wooden spoon before serving.
– To make sauce; heat 60 ml wine in a large saucepan. Add prawns and unopened clams and mussels. Add pepper and a few drops of Tabasco sauce. Bring to the boil.
– When mussel and clam shells open, remove and reserve, discard any which do not open. Remove prawns and reserve. Cool slightly, then peel. Strain and reserve cooking liquid.
– In another saucepan, heat oil and garlic until golden, remove and discard. Add herbs and remaining wine and brandy. Simmer about 3 minutes.
– Add squid and simmer for 4 minutes, stirring, remove and reserve.
– Add tomato sauce and bring to the boil, add reserved cooking liquid and white fish. Lower heat, simmer 10 minutes until fish is almost cooked through.
– Return shellfish and squid. Lower heat and cook 1-2 minutes.
– Pour over the boiled rice.