500 gr white fish
1 kg fish bones and trimmings
3 and 1/2 litres water
1/2 litre dry white wine
12 black peppercorns
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1 leek, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, thinly sliced crossways
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 fresh parsley springs
1 fresh thyme spring
1 bay leaf
* Tie together parsley and thyme springs and bay leaf with a piece of string or place in a muslin bag, if string is used the bouquet garni can be tied to the pan handles for easy removal.
* Place water and wine in a pan. Strain liquid, then return to the cleaned pan and boil over high heat until reduced to two-thirds.
* Place all ingredients in a large saucepan or casserole over medium heat.
* Bring to the boil, lower temperature and simmer gently, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
* Skim surface as required during cooking. Pour through a fine strainer, then cool.
NOTE: Cover tightly and store in the refrigerator up to 2 days. It makes about 1.2 litres.