3 litres water
500 gr veal bones and meat attached to them
250 gr chicken bones and meat attached to them
8 black peppercorns1 celery stalk, coarsely sliced
2 small carrots, coarsely chopped
2 leeks, coarsely chopped
2 onions, halved crossways
4 whole cloves
4 fresh parsley springs
1 fesh thyme spring
1 bay leaf
* Tie together herb springs with a piece of string or place in a muslin bag, if string is used the bouquet garni can be tied to the pan handles for easy removal.
* Place meat and bones in a large saucepan or casserole, cover with water and let stand for 1 hour.
* Bring water to the boil over high heat, skim the surface. Lower heat and simmer until liquid is clear.
* Stick cloves into onion halves and add to pan. Add remaining ingredients.
* Bring to the boil again, cover, lower heat and simmer very gently for 3 hours, skimming as necessary.
* Remove bouquet garni and pour through a fine strainer, then refrigerate until cool.
* Spoon off any fat that solidified on surface.
NOTE: Cover tightly and store in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks. It makes about 2 litres.