SERVING : 8
2 and 1/2 glasses rice
2 kg fresh anchovies
1 large size onion
2 tablespoons pine nuts
2 tablespoons currants
2 and 1/2 tablespoons margarine
1 and 1/2 tablespoons dry mint
1 and 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon pepper
– Wash and drain the rice.
– Clean the anchovies. Remove the heads, backbones and tails. Wash and drain them.
– Place half of them neatly in circular raws in a large oiled oven pan (35-40 cm in diameter) opening them up with the fleshy parts upwards.
– Put the pan in the oven at medium temperature and cook for 25-30 minutes.
– Meanwhile heat the margarine in a saucepan. Brown the grated onion together with the pine nuts and salt.
– Add the rice and brown them on medium heat for 5-6 minutes more.
– Add currants, pepper, sugar, mint and 3 and 3/4 glasses of warm water. Mix well. Reduce the heat when it starts boiling and cook gently for 8-10 minutes.
– Just before the whole water is absorbed, spread the rice over the baked anchovies in the oven. Place the rest of the anchovies neatly over the rice, opened up and the skins facing upwards.
– Put them back in the medium oven and bake until the fish are lightly browned, for about 1/2 an hours.
– Serve at once.