SERVING : 5
5 medium size eggplants
3/4 glass olive oil
1 and 1/2 tea cups water
5 medium size onion
3 cloves garlic
1 medium size tomato
1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon salt
– Cut each onion in half, and each half into fine half-moons. Place these onions in a bowl and sprinkle abundantly with salt.
– Knead the onions with the hand until they give up their bitter juice.
– Wash the onion with water and drain.
– Add the onion, the chopped garlic, chopped parsley, the tomato which has been peeled, seeded and cut into small pieces.
– Remove the stems of the eggplants leaving 2 cm remaining. Peel the eggplant leaving lengthwise bands 2 cm wide (to prevent the eggplants from falling to pieces while cooking). With a knife carve out a piece from the top of each eggplant.
– Treat eggplants with salt to prevent them from absorbing too much oil while beeing cooked.
– Place the eggplants side by side in a covered aluminium, pyrex or stainless stell baking dish.
– Stuff the wedges in the eggplants with the filling.
– On the bottom of the dish, pour the oil and 3/4 glass of water.
– Cover and cook on a very low heat for 45 minutes.
– Serve when cool.