SERVINGS : 6
1 kg lamb meat, shoulder or loin
2 large onions
100 gr butter or margarine
1/2 kg small fresh potatoes
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 glass oil
125 gr dry white wine
250 gr lamb stock
1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon mustard
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons gherkin, finely chopped
– Melt the butter in a saucepan. Lightly brown the meat. Add onions cut lengthwise into slices. Brown for 5 minutes.
– Add salt, pepper and 1 glass of water. Cover and cook on low heat for 1 and 1/2 hours.
– Heat the oil in a saucepan. Peel the potatoes, cut them into walnut size pieces. Fry them in the oil. Take them out when they are half done.
– Put the meat in an oven dish. Arrange the potatoes around. Pour the sauce over. Bake in hot oven for 20 minutes.
– To make the sauce; in a moderate heavy-based saucepan, melt butter. Add flour and stir to make roux, cooking 3-4 minutes until bubbly.
– Add wine and stock. Bring just to the boil over moderate heat, stirring constantly.
– Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered.
– Add vinegar, mustard and pickle to sauce and cook 1 minute.