SERVINGS : 4
1 kg mutton
5 large size onions
2 medium size tomatoes or 2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon margarine
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
– Heat the oil and margarine together in a saucepan. Put the meat cut into 1/2 cm wide and 2-3 cm long strips and brown them stirring constantly.
– Peel and cut the onions into thin lengthwise slices. Add half of them to the meat and brown them.
– Add peeled and chopped tomatoes or tomato paste dissolved in 1/2 cup of water. Cook until the juice is absorbed.
– Add the rest of the onions, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes more.
– Add 2 glasses of warm water and cover.
– Cook on low heat for 1 and 1/2 hours, until the meat is tender.