SERVING : 8
750 gr minced meat
3 onions, finely chopped
1 and 1/2 glasses of fine bulgur “boiled & pounded wheat”
1 tablespoon margarine
1 glass oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 teaspoon cummin
1/2 cup walnuts, crushed
1 tablespoon currants
1 bunch parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon pine nuts
– Melt the margarine in a saucepan. Brown the chopped onions together with the pine nuts.
– Add half of the minced meat. Saute and cook until the juice evaporates.
– Remove from heat. Add salt, pepper, cummin, crushed walnuts, pinenuts, currants and chopped parsley. Mix well.
– In a bowl, mix the bulgur with the other half of the meat. Add salt, pepper, red pepper and egg. Knead well, spinkling with some water now and then.
– Take a big walnut size piece of it in the palm of your hand. With the index finger of the other hand, make a hole into it, and press to the sides to make the inside bigger and the walls as thin as possible.
– Stuff it with the meat filling and close the hole bringing the sides together. Squeeze it in wet palms of your hands to shape in into a semi-sphere.
– Repeat the same until you finish the meat.
– Cook them in simmering salted water for 5 minutes. Drain well with a skimmer.
– A just before serving, fry them in hot oil until golden brown on all sides.