SERVING : 4
500 gr pasta
12 glasses water
125 ml extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
2 tablespoons Pecorino cheese, freshly grated (or additional 2 tablespoons Permesan cheese
2 tablespoons pine nuts
2 garlic cloves
30 gr fresh basil leaves
A few rock salt
– Boil the pasta in salted water for 7-8 minutes.
– Drain, cover with cold water and let stand 15 minutes.
– Place basil, garlic, salt and pine nuts in a blender or food processor. Whirly until finely chopped.
– With motor running, add oil in a thin stream. Scrape down sides to make sure all solids are well mixed. Continue blending to make a smooth sauce.
– Add cheese and give the machine one short burst to blend ingredients well.
– Serve hot over freshly-cooked pasta.
HINT : Use only a high-quality olive oil and do not substitute vegetable or peanut oil. If the sauce is too thick, thin with a little of the pasta cooking water.
NOTE : Store any leftover sauce in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.