SERVING : 6
750 gr pasta
18 glasses water
1 kg ripe tomatoes
125 gr onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 and 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
6 fresh basil leaves or 1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
A few pepper
– Boil the pasta in salted water for 7-8 minutes.
– Drain, cover with cold water and let stand 15 minutes.
– Dip tomatoes in boiling water to split the skin, then spear with a fork and skin. Quarter tomatoes and set aside.
– Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan over a low heat. Saute onions and celery until onions are golden.
– Add tomatoes and any juice, tomato paste, bay leaf, basil, sugar, salt and pepper.
– Bring to the boil. Lower heat and simmer gently, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
– Remove bay leaf and discard.
– Serve hot with freshly-cooked pasta.