SERVINGS : 6
750 gr minced mutton
2 small size onions, grated
3 slices dried bread, without crust
3 large size tomatoes or 2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons cummin
1 glass oil
– Soak the bread slices in water. Squeeze by hand to extract excess water.
– Crumble and add to the minced meat, together with grated onions, crushed garlic, salt, pepper and cummin. Knead well for 10 minutes.
– Take large walnut size pieces of this mixture and roll each one in the palms of your hands into round and flat shapes.
– Heat the oil in a pan. Lightly brown the meatballs (köfte) on both sides.
– Take them out and arrange in a flat pan. Spread on them peeled and chopped tomatoes or the tomato paste dissolved in a glass of water. Sprinkle with salt.
– Cover and cook on medium heat for 20-25 minutes.
NOTE : Instead of chopped tomatoes, you can put slices of potatoes, tomatoes and bell peppers on each meatball.