4 fresh herrings, cleaned, scaled and backbone removed
2 pickled gherkins, diced
250 gr cooked potatoes, diced
1/2 bunch spring onions, chopped
250 gr cooked beetroot, sliced
A few chives, to garnish
125 gr vinegar
125 gr water
2 tablespoons sugar
1 small onion, chopped
1 bay leaf
A few pinch red pepper
A few pinch allspice
6 tablespoons yoghurt
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
– Cut herring fillets into 5 cm pieces and put into a glass dish.
– To prepare the marinate, combine ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 1 minute, the leave to cool.
– Pour over herrings, and marinate overnight or for at least 6 hours.
– Drain herrings from marinate and put into a bowl with gherkins, potatoes and spring onions.
– To make the dressing, mix ingredients together, then stir into salad.
– Arrange sliced beetroots around edge of serving dish, spoon salad in centre and garnish with chives.