SERVING : 6
2 glasses rice
3 glasses white veal stock or chicken stock
4 tablespoons margarine
1 medium size onion
1 medium size tomato
1/4 sheep liver or 2 chicken livers
1 tablespoon pine nuts
2 tablespoons currants
1 bunch dill
2 teaspoons salt
3 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon pepper
– Cover the rice with salted lukewarm water. Leave for 20 minutes.
– Wash 3-4 times and drain well.
– Melt the margarine in a saucepan. Add cleaned and diced liver and saute lightly. Take them out.
– In the same saucepan, put chopped onion and pine nuts. Brown them lightly. Add the rice. Brown on high heat for 10 minutes.
– Add salt, pepper, sugar, currants, peeled and chopped tomato and meat or chicken stock or water. Mix well.
– Cover and cook first on medium heat, later on low heat for 15 minutes, until the water is absorbed.
– Add the spices and chopped dill. Cover well and let simmer on very low heat for 20 minutes.
– Turn the heat off and let stand for 20 minutes more.
– Mix well with a wooden spoon and serve with roasted chicken, turkey or lamb.