SERVINGS : 4
24 large size mussels
24 mussel meat, halved
6 large onion, finely chopped
200 gr rice, soaked in lukewarm water, washed, drained
1 glass oil
1 and 1/2 glass water
1 soupspoon tomato paste
1 soupspoon pine nuts
1 soupspoon currant
1 coffeespoon black pepper
1 dessertspoon granulated sugar
1 dessertspoon salt
2 soupspoons fresh dill, finely chopped
– Scrub the mussel shells thoroughly. Open them and remove any dirt, wash well and lay them side to side.
– In a medium saucepan heat olive oil on medium heat. Add onion and toast 5 minutes, stirring constantly until golden.
– Add rice and pine nuts. Stir well. Cover lid and cook 20-25 minutes.
– Add 1 glass water, tomato paste, currant, salt, pepper, mussel meat and dill. Stir with slotted spoon.
– Cook 15-20 minutes lid covered, until rice
evaporates the liquid.
– Spinkle granulated sugar. Remove saucepan from heat. Let aside the cool.
– Fill each mussel shell in which the mussel is found with the filling.
– Cover with the other shell.
– Place the mussels side by side, and then on top of each other in a medium size saucepan. Add 3/4 glass water.
– Cover and cook on a high heat about 30 minutes.
– Remove from heat and let cool.