SERVING : 4
20 large mussels
150 gr rice
4 medium size onions, finely chopped
1 glass olive oil
1/2 glass water, kept hot
1 large tomato, finely chopped
1/3 coffeecup tomato paste, diluted with a little water
1/2 soupspoon granulated sugar
1 coffespoon salt
1 coffespoon black pepper
1/2 coffee cup currants
1/2 coffee cup pine nuts
– Scrub the mussel shells thoroughly. Open them and remove any dirt, wash well and lay them side to side.
– Heat the olive oil in a medium size saucepan over moderate heat. Add onions and roast for few minutes until soft and brown, stirring constantly with a spoon.
– Add the boiled water, tomato, currants, pine nuts, sugar, salt and pepper. Lower the heat to low and cover. Cook about 20 minutes until the liqued has been absorbed.
– Remove from heat and let cool.
– Fill each mussel shell in which the mussel is found with the filling. Cover with the other shell.
– Place the mussels side by side, and then on top of each other in a medium size saucepan. Add 3/4 glass water.
– Cover and cook on a high heat about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.