SERVING : 6
500 gr rice
40-50 mussels, without shells
1/2 glass olive olive
175 gr (2 medium size) onions
1 liter water
4 cups water
3 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
– Pick over the rice, put it in a pan and cover it with hot water. Add 2 tablespoons of salt and wait until the water gets cold.
– Place the rice in a sieve and rinse it thoroughly under the tap.
– Cut out the bristles from the mussels. Put them in a pan, add half a cup of olive oil, add finely sliced onions, and saute until the onions are light brown.
– Then, add cleaned, chopped tomatoes (or diluted tomato paste) and stir a few times.
– Add the cleaned mussels, 4 glasses of water, salt and black pepper and bring it to the boil.
– When it boils, add the prepared rice and cook it for 5 minutes on a gigh heat, then on a medium heat until the water is absorbed.
– Then, let it simmer on a very low heat for 20 minutes or until the rice gets fluffy.
– Serve it hot or cold.