SERVING : 8
16 large size bell peppers
4 small size tomatoes
1/4 glass olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 glass rice
7 medium size onions
3/4 glass olive oil
1 medium size tomato
25 grams pine nuts
25 grams currants
1/2 bunch fresh mint or 1 tablespoon dried mint
1 bunch dill
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons salt
4 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
– Cover the rice with lukewarm water and let cool.
– Pour the water out, wash well and drain.
– Chop the onions finely. Add the nuts, 1 teaspoon salt and the olive oil. Brown them on medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 20 minutes.
– Add the drained rice and toast them for 10 minutes.
– Add peeled tomato cut into small pieces, rest of the salt, pepper, sugar and 3/4 glass of warm water. Mix them well and cover the lid.
– Turn the heat down as soon as it starts boiling. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the water is absorbed.
– Add the spices and chopped herbs. Cover well with a cloth underneath the lid leave in its own steam for half an hour.
– Mix well with a wooden spoon before using for recipes.
– Cut around the stems of the peppers. Remove the seeds. Wash and drain them.
– Stuff the peppers, not very tightly, with the rice filling and close them either with their own lids or with caps cut out from tomatoes.
– Place them side by side in a saucepan, with the lids upwards.
– Sprinkle with salt and olive oil. Add 3/4 glass of water. Cover and cook on low heat for 45-60 minutes, until the whole water is absorbed and the peppers
– Let them cool before serving.