SERVING : 6
2 lemons juice
1 coffee spoon salt
1/2 coffee spoon sugar
5 glasses water
3 egg yolks
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons mustard
375 ml White Stock or Chicken Stock or White Veal Stock
90 gr butter
45 gr flour
A few salt
A few cayenne pepper
– Put the lemon juice in a bowl and add 5 glasses water.
– The artichokes must be cut so as to leave only the heart and some of the stem. First tear out the leaves by pulling them opposite to the direction in which
– Scrape to remove the small filaments and cover all the exposed areas with lemon juice to prevent the artichoke from turning black.
– Remove the stem from its hard base. Trim around the heart with a knife scraping to the bottom of the heart, not forgetting to rub immediately with lemon.
– Let the artichokes sit in water with lemon juice before being used.
– Place the artichokes side by side in a saucepan. Add salt and sugar.
– Boil and cook on a low heat for 1 hour.
– In a heavy-based medium saucepan, melt butter and add the flour all at once. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
– Add stock all at once, whisking to blend smoothly. Cook over low heat, stirring often, for 5-6 minutes.
– Remove from heat and gently beat in egg yolks and add lemon juice, whicking constantly. Add mustard and mix well, then add salt.
– Return to heat and cook 1 to 2 minutes longer, then add cayenne pepper, a little at a time, stirring and testing until required degree of heat is achieved.
– Serve hot over boiled artichokes.