SERVING : 6
1 kg cabbage
15 glasses water
1/2 glass salt
2 coffee cups olive oil
1/2 coffeespoon granulated sugar
250 gr rice, washed
250 gr olive oil
750 gr onions, finely chopped
25 gr pine nuts
25 gr currants
1 level dessertspoon salt
1 level dessertspoon granulated sugar
250 gr boiling water
1/2 bunch parsley
1/2 bunch mint
1/2 bunch dill
– Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over moderate heat. Add the onions and cook to a golden colour. Add the rice and pine nuts. Stir constantly over a
medium heat for about 30 minutes until the rice becomes golden in color.
– Add the salt, sugar, currants and mix well. Add the boiling water and mix again. Cover and cook on a very low heat for 15 minutes.
– Add the dill, mint, parsley and stir. Place on a large dish and let cool before using.
– Cut the cabbage heart with a knife. Place 15 glasses of water and 1/2 glass salt into a saucepan large enough to contain the cabbage. Put in the separated
cabbage leaves turned upward. Cover and boil for 3 minutes.
– Lower the heat. Turn the cabbage over, cover and cook another minute. Turn the cabbage over again remove the softest leaves from the bottom. Turn the
cabbage over again and let cook 5 minutes.
– Remove the cover. The leaves should have become supple without being fully cooked. If they are not soft enough, let them remain in the water another 3 or 4
– Now place the cabbage leaves under running water. Take each leaf and squeeze it a little. Gently remove the largest veins with a knife, Place the leaves
with the thickest veins on the bottom of a large saucepan. Drain and let cool.
– Place some filling in the center of the leaf and roll the leaf from left to right over the filling and finally roll like a cigarette.
– Put the firmest leaves with the most veins on the bottom of a large saucepan. Place the stuffed leaves in a saucepan with the extra leaves were put. Add
water, oil, salt and sugar.
– Cover and cook on a low heat for 1 hour, until all the water is absorbed.